Re: Standy database on standard edition

From: Justin Mungal <justin_at_n0de.ws>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:57:31 -0500

Hi Joel,
*Therefore, there is no command possible for the standby that would violate the data guard licensing provisions. This is the question. It appears you answered it below eventually.*
*
*
I agree with you completely. Look at what happens when I try enabling Data Guard on my test 11gR2 Standard Edition DB:

SQL> startup
ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Managed Standby

I think you're safe as long as DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS shows 0 in DETECTED_USAGES for the given feature you're concerned with.

From the same SE instance:

SQL> select detected_usages, total_samples, currently_used, first_usage_date, last_usage_date
  2 from DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS
  3 where name = 'Data Guard';

DETECTED_USAGES TOTAL_SAMPLES CURRE FIRST_USA LAST_USAG --------------- ------------- ----- --------- ---------

              0 3 FALSE Hope this helps.