Transparent HugePages causing crashes?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 09:59:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

MOS has a new alert 1557478.1 that says "Because Transparent HugePages are known to cause unexpected node reboots and performance problems with RAC, Oracle strongly advises to disable the use of Transparent HugePages."

However, I can't find anything searching for issues with THP in all the usual places. Is this just a RAC issue? Specific to Oracle instances running on later Linux releases?

THP seems more like AIX's 64k medium pages and I was hoping to use them to help prevent DBA errors in sizing traditional HugePages.

Anyone using THP?

Rich