RE: 10g ASMM (AMM in 11g) Hugepages Compatibility

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:28:29 -0500

Absolutely - thanks Don!
Chris

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us] Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 4:27 PM
To: Taylor Christopher - Nashville
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: 10g ASMM (AMM in 11g) Hugepages Compatibility

10g ASMM is compatible because it only manages the SGA, which goes into HugePages. 11g AMM governs the SGA and the PGA. The PGA cannot go into HugePages and so if you have AMM enabled (memory_target > 0) then Oracle cannot use HugePages. You can still use sga_target in 11g to do the same thing as you would in 10g.

Hope that helps.

Don.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM, <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net<mailto:Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>> wrote: So a colleague of mine just pointed me to a metalink document (after we had been discussing using AMM with hugepages) that 10g uses ASMM not AMM (not to be confused with ASSM). I was under the impression that Hugepages and AMM (in 10g - actually called ASMM) was incompatible but apparently it is not (though it is incompatible with AMM in 11g). Somewhere along the line I dropped the "S" from ASMM in 10g - I swear I didn't remember it being called ASMM and had to look it up in the 10.2 documentation to really believe it.

ASMM and LINUX x86-64 Hugepages Support [ID 1134002.1]

I so wanted to argue the point that 10g automatic memory management wasn't compatible with hugepages but according to that note it is.

Anyone have a differing opinion or thoughts on the matter?

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S

Don Seiler