Re: Oracle DBA interview

From: Manuela Atoui <manuelaout_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 10:59:43 +0200

Dear Tiran, dear All,
recently I had just the same situation. After a phone interview with some technical questions about regular DBA work (more like testing the concept) I got a face-to-face interview. They told me two sentences about the DB - not more - and then put me in front of a desktop PC with Windows 8 and OEM 12c. With both I had never worked before... ouch! Luckily the database server was on Linux and bash was my friend ;) I had one hour to give them an overall assessment about their database: a health check, find the top SQL queries, tell them about incidents during the last week, find out if there are any unindexed foreign keys and opinions on how to improve the system.
It was really fun and I liked the way they tested my skills. It was a very practical approach, testing daily DBA work and the questions they asked were very client-centric. The type of questions you expect a project manager (non-DBA) to ask.
They gave the interview situation some thoughts before, and so far it was the best candidate testing I've ever been through.

Good luck with setting up the interview

Manuela Atoui