result cache corruption

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:57:58 +0000

Hello,

Let's get the required stuff out of the way.

11.2.0.1 Enterprise
6.1.0.7 AIX on Power Systems

A problem cropped up yesterday (out of the blue) where it seems that the result cache is getting corrupted. Yesterday we restarted the database and the problem stopped. Today I just tried flushing the result cache and it fixed it.

exec DBMS_RESULT_CACHE.flush

I can put a band-aid on this by creating a "fix-it" job for the problem, but I'd like to get down to the root cause of the problem. We're hitting the following bug.

Bug 9025861 - ENCOUNTERED ORA-07445: [QESRCDEPOBJ_REMDEPENDENT()+22] [SIGSEGV]

The fix (recommended by Oracle) is to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 or to set result_cache_max_size = 0 (thus disabling the result cache). I don't think we're dependent on it, but from what I've read, it affects performance of queries that use hints (which we use extensively in our environment).

The problem seems to be happening when loading data into a table from CLOB. The data is being put into the CLOB from a CSV or XML file. Specifically it happens on the commit process. Again, I'd like to get to the root of the problem to see how it can be resolved.

Any hints to get me moving in the right direction? Has anyone seen a similar issue? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks Gurus!

Jeremy