parallel degree question

From: Johan Eriksson <valpis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 20:38:20 +0200

(Oracle 11.2.0.3.5 AIX 6.1, 40 logical cpu's (20 cpu's SMT2))
Hi

I have the following parameters (which I think is the one needed to know)

parallel_degree_policy=auto
parallel_degree_limit=24
parallel_servers_target=400
parallel_threads_per_cpu=2
parallel_max_servers=800

What I am running are 3 different batchstreams, and this normally works OK, I get an average of 48 processes. The problem is that the streams doesn't always run, and since it is very CPI intensive I would like a way to direct more processes to the streams that actually are running at the moment. Is there a good way I haven't thought about yet?

(the reason I am limiting the number of concurrent processes are that the
application otherwise spawn away 500 processes due to hints in the sql and degree on objects and I get contention problem and can't use the memory effectively. changing the sql is of course not something I can do at this point. I have tried increase the number of processes, but as I do that, hello contention.)

I have a good balance at the moment (regarding cpu, memory, disk latency and so on), but the elapsed time is not what I would have expected and I need to run as much on the CPU at all time as possible, but still with limited number of processes

/johan