Re: Need insight for RMAN tape backup troubleshooting

From: Saurabh <saurabhmanroy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 08:15:52 +0200

Hello Sandy,

You haven't mentioned How many channels have you allocated for backup ? How many free tapes are available in tape pool ? Are you using rman compression ? How big is sga ? What are the wait events seen if any in the db ?

In general, Execution time of 'backup validate database' command should help you to find the right problem area.

Considering that there is enough network bandwidth available b/w host nd tapes and cpu & i/o is not the bottleneck on the host, It is likely that tape media pool doesnt have enough tapes leading to channel queueing. Check Activity monitor tab on Netbackup Server console for this.

Regards,