Re: Taking advantage of SSD Capabilities when Smart Flash Cache isn't an option?

From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:33:18 -0700

It may be difficult / impossible to use SSDs as true shared storage between multiple server nodes, and you don't mention whether you're trying to use RAC. If you don't need shared storage, then you can subdivide your SSDs amongst your servers, and then configure the SSDs to be mirrored, and then you can use them as primary storage for the "hot" portions of your database. Of course, you need to keep track of which parts of your database are hot, as that is likely to change over time, and you'll need to manually move tablespaces / datafiles to and from the SSDs based on your monitoring of which parts are hot (or are becoming hot). Or you could switch to Oracle Linux and use Database Smart Flash Cache ;-)

-KJ

*Kevin Jernigan* 	(650) 607-0392 (o)
*Senior Director Product Management* 	(415) 710-8828 (m)
kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com <mailto:kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
*Advanced Compression - ACO*: 	*Information Lifecycle Management* - ILM
   Advanced Row Compression 	*Temporal database* (Total Recall etc)
   Advanced LOB Compression 	*SecureFiles*
   Advanced LOB Deduplication 	*Database File System* - DBFS
   RMAN Backup Compression 	*Direct NFS Client* - dNFS
   Data Pump Export Compression 	*CloneDB*
   Data Guard Redo Network Transport Compression 	*Database Resource
Manager* - DBRM
   Flashback Data Archive History Table Optimization 	*Continuous Query
Notification* - CQN
*Hybrid Columnar Compression* - HCC 	*Index Organized Tables* - IOT
*Database Smart Flash Cache* 	*OISP*