RE: add dummy rows

From: Patterson, Joel <jpatterson_at_entint.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 14:41:27 -0400

But they are different eh? UTC has leap seconds...:) and the minutes can be from59 to 61 seconds. Leap seconds are announced at least 8 weeks in advance... and cannot be predicted far in advance due to the unpredictable rate of rotation of the earth.

It seems to me like GMT and 'UTC' are the same in oracle -- 'meaning GMT', regardless if it claims UTC -- because I am unaware of the seconds issues in oracle. GMT and UTC are only seconds apart at any one time but GMT has 60 seconds to a minute, and does not adjust as often.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 928-2790

--

Joel Patterson
Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration Phone: 904-928-2790 | Fax: 904-733-4916

http://www.entint.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231 http://twitter.com/#!/entint http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1]

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lewis Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: add dummy rows

Generally "timestamp with local timezone" is a simple move for collecting the data - although it does have some irritating consequences. Oracle stores the data with a type flag that identifies the requirement for local time on output, but records the value in the databases in UTC (or GMT as I like to call it).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)
http://www.apress.com/9781430239543

If you have to restore Oracle to a point in time during the 1am hour the second time the 1am hour has rolled by, time is not normally the reference, but something like the SCN number. If you restore to SCN corresponding to 1:30am, Oracle knows what time it is.... So do you mean the underlying monochromatically increasing clock, is like the julian type clock oracle uses.... (but I think those times roll back and repeat). It seems that you need an extra field... like an SCN to keep the time part straight? No?

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri May 24 2013 - 20:41:27 CEST

Original text of this message