Re: the joy of version numbers

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:04:32 -0600

On 22/05/2013 3:01 PM, Don Granaman wrote:
> encountering far too many semi-educated DBAs who said stuff like: "This isn't OFA!
LOL. I was recently on a project where the app consultancy went ballistic because the security folk would not allow them to use username 'oracle' and username 'grid' in a highly secure installation.

I got caught in the middle, as I was hired by the security team.

Vendor consultants won - reasoning was: in the event of a system problem, people are going to refer to the Oracle documentation and that will say 'log on to user "oracle"'. So if they, by policy, need to log on to user 'orasoft' instead, they will not be able to fix the problem.

Indeed, they proved it would be a stumbling block - their own people were in capable of logging on to personal usernames and doing things. So this highly secure environment ended up being totally unauditable.

True story

/Hans