Re: the joy of version numbers

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:48:18 -0600

On 22/05/2013 7:13 AM, Patrice sur GMail wrote:
> Oracle version numbers are fun, aren't they?
I've noticed that even Oracle does not understand them.

According to the DBA Guide, Chapter 1, there is a known pattern that was intended to include the Oracle App Server group - but apparently neither the OAS nor the WebLogic Server groups read Database documentation so they created their own variants.

And then the EM group decided to go on their own, somewhere in left field in which 'Releases' are what everyone else calls 'Patch Sets'. Oh well.

Add to that the Marketing Brand (9i, 10g, 11g, 12c ...) which confuses everyone, and the consistency between brand and version (WebLogic Server 12c (12.1.1), WebLogic
Server 11g (10.3.6) as on and we have a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm sure interns are not involved - it appears too deliberately disorganized to have been accomplished by novices unless perhaps over Tequila Parties ...

At least they are using a 'registery' called the Oracle Inventory to hold a database of component versions that have been installed. Although that database is in XML !?!?? (Perhaps someone should write an External Table. Like Tom Kyte's External Table mapping on the Alert.log ...)

/Hans