the joy of version numbers

From: Patrice sur GMail <patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:13:57 -0300

Oracle version numbers are fun, aren't they? compatible in init.ora, the nice message when you log off telling you what version of Oracle you're running down to the 5th digit but the last one always a zero, EM lists database instance versions only to the 4th digit, oracle home directories only going down to the 3rd digit, patchsets including CPUs you apply that never get reflected in the database or in EM, the dba_registry view, installer logs, etc.

I don't believe I even know all the places Oracle squirrels away version numbers of the database instances, i must have missed some.

How does Oracle keep track of it all, they must have a big bureaucracy just to keep track of all these disparate version numbers (summer interns maybe?). Good thing they have something useful to do!

I miss the days when on the Commodore PET the OS was in ROM, could not be overwritten, and the computer came on immediately when you switched it on.

(I am not going to rant today about all the log, trace, etc. files in the diag and flash_recovery_area directories that never get cleaned up automatically by the database, RMAN or by the EM.)