Re: Designing a DBA interview process to validly measure candidate abilities.

From: rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 07:55:45 -0400

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Freeman CTR Donald < donald.freeman.ctr_at_usmc.mil> wrote:
> I always ask a DBA where he gets his or her information. Whose books do
> you own? Which do you rely on? A good check to see how connected a
> prospective DBA is to see if they are on this list.

I try to ask these, but now-a-days the most answer i get is " I go to the website " (perhaps which shall not be named) and see what I can find. Even asktom is getting down in popularity in answers compared to google. OakTable is virtually unknown or never mentioned. As for recently read books" i normally get " oracle manuals", for the question "which authors or blogs do you follow"? normally gets the answer "none, there are no good blogs, so I only read manuals ". I could even take StackExchange, but not even that.

sigh, I miss wearing my sunglasses to those interviews so I could roll my eyes right then and there.

> I Google their name to see where they have been posting.

Not done that, but if I would risk that, probably worth a try. I also like to ask a variation of this question to those who claim lot of experience in production support etc. " name one incident when you screwed up something in production that caused problem/pain and how did you find it and fixed it? ". Most dbas worth their salt have one time or another have made a mistake, but recognizing that quickly, and fixing that takes accountability and quick analysis. Sometime I do get answers, most times a blank stare. or best answer yet " all my scripts are so tested, this has never happened to me."

I slept well that night.