RE: Serious listener problem - can anyone help?

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:46:25 -0700

> Everytime sqlplus tries to directly connects to an instance it calculates a
> hash value from ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and connects to this value (I'm
> quite sure it's the semaphor which is the magic piece here, but I can't
> prove it right now).

Specifically the "shmid" of the SGA. This little fact can be leveraged to create more than one Oracle instance with the same value of ORACLE_SID on the same Unix server if you have too much time on your hands. See http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/two-instances-with-the-same-oracle-sid/. Strong objections in the comments section duly noted.

Iggy --
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sun May 12 2013 - 19:46:25 CEST

Original text of this message