Re: Storing old stats

From: <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 14:00:41 -0600

The statistics history tables exist in 10g ( R2 ). Don't have a 10.1 database handy to check.
On Tue, 7 May 2013 14:53:11 -0500, Orlando L wrote:

       Thank you Wolfgang. I thought the old stats being available for 31 days was a 11g feature not in 10g.

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM,
  wrote:

       If you use dbms_stats to gather statistics the prior statistics are automatically save in statistics history tables and kept for n days ( 31 by default, is configurable ). I am not a big fan of this - if statistics for a table / index do not get gathered for more than 31 days ( e.g. because of too little activity ) the entire statistics history is purged and if the next gather results in an undesirable plan you can't revert back. I much prefer creating a stattab table and exporting statistics "manually" either at regular intervals, i.e. prior to a dbms_stats.gather, or prior to/after certain events.  --
  Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation