RE: multi-tenancy

From: <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 09:49:30 -0700

 Brian,
Use the advice views (i.e. V$MEMORY_= TARGET_ADVICE, V$SGA_TARGET_ADVICE, etc) in each of these instances. = Like any other resource, memory should beallocated based on workload, not = static formulas. If you have to guess as you're se= tting up an instance for the first time, guess small and conservative, then= allow the advice views to build up information based on workload, and use = that information to adjust allocations as time goes on.
Hope this helps...
-Tim
=0A=0A=0A-------- O= riginal Message --------
=0ASubject: Re: multi-tenancy
=0AFrom: Guill= ermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail= .com[1]>
=0ADate: Tue, May 07, 2013 10:20 am
=0ATo: Brian Zelli &= lt;Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.o= rg[2]>
=0ACc: "oracle-l (o= racle-l_at_freelists.org[3])" <o=
racle-l_at_freelists.org[4]>
=0A
=0Aif each instance should get the= same ammount of memory:
=0A(PhysMem * 0.6)/ #of instance
=0A
=0AA= nd then use the remaining PhysMem * 0.2 (yes, 0.2) to increase the
memory=0Aof whichever instance hits out of memory errors first.
=0A
=0AI= f this is a VM, then make sure all the memory assigned to the vm is
=0Ar= eserved, flexible memory allocation and oracle don't go together well.
  • =0A
    =0Ahth
    =0A
    =0AAlan.-
    =0A
    =0A
    =0AOn Tue, May 7, 2013 a= t 11:46 AM, Zelli, Brian
    =0A<Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org[5]>wrote:
    =0A
    =0A> I have t= wo instances, 10g and 11g on one server and now they want me
    =0A> = add another 11g instance. Is there some white paper on how to parse
    upthe=
    =0A> RAM on the server to even distribute to all 3 instances? Some =
    formula?
    =0A> This is all development so I don't have any ideas of s= ize and
    =0A> such.....neither do they.
    =0A> ciao,
    =0A> Br= ian
    =0A>
    =0A>
    =0A>
    =0A>
    =0A> This email messa= ge may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
    =0A> informatio= n. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the
    employeeor
    =0A>= agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended
    =0A&= gt; recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
    copying,
  • =0A> distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you h= ave
    =0A> received this message in error, please notify the sender imm= ediately
    by
    =0A> e-mail and delete this email message from your compu= ter. Thank you.
    =0A> --
    =0A> http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l[6]
    =0A&gt= ;