Re: Are hash sub-partitions balanced?

From: Adam Musch <ahmusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 10:33:13 -0500

Oracle assigns rows to subpartitions using the ora_hash() function; ora_hash(column_value, 0, hash_partition_count) If the data isn't functionally random or sequential - skew in the data is very likely to be seen in the subpartitions.

See Jonathan Lewis' note on this:
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2009/11/21/ora_hash-function/

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Followup. So we loaded some skewed data and tihs is a rolliup from my
> sub-partitions spread across several partitions and I this does not appear
> to be very well balanced. Is this something I can expect? I am following
> the power of 2 with 16 hash sub-partitions. I am also going to get more
> data loaded.
> I just analyzed the table with granularity='ALL'
>
> select subpartition_position,sum(num_rows)
> from user_tab_subpartitions
> where table_name = '<my table>'
> group by subpartition_position
> order by 1