RE: Hugepages question with multiple instances on 1 host

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 22:51:35 +0000

I have been working with Oracle and Solaris for a long time and no one from Oracle has ever advised us not to use ISM. It does not have anything to do with Oracle buying Sun either, which happened in 2009. You might be confusing DISM (Dynamic Intimate Shared Memory) with ISM. From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:57 PM
To: Hameed, Amir
Cc: dbvision_at_iinet.net.au; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Hugepages question with multiple instances on 1 host

Up until Oracle bought Sun, the advice from Oracle was do not use ISM. But I think some of that was because no one really understood ISM. I looked around quite a bit, and never could find a good explanation of ISM and DISM terms and usage. If such a thing exists now, I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to it. I dont use much Sun currently, but I wouldn't mind keeping up with what is going on with it.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com<mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>> wrote: ISM with large 4M pages in Solaris has been available since Solaris 6. In Richard McDougal's book, "Solaris Internals Core Kernel Architecture", which was published in 2001, there is a TPC-C reference for Oracle with 12% performance improvement with 4M pages.