RE: LOB Operation and SQL*Net Message From Client and cursor #0

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 08:43:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Doing a test, converting the column to a char compared to an SQL
> statement leaving it as a LOB, it completes very quickly as all the
> special handling for a LOB, fetching it, etc, is no longer needed.

I always tell the developers to avoid CLOB unless they know for sure the text will exceed 4000 characters. Most of them simply consider LOB to be longer varchar2, not knowing that there's quite a bit of difference between the mechanism to handle varchar2 and that to handle LOB (which is generally less efficient, and possibly over-engineered).

> the front end limits the [LOB comments] field to 255 characters

That's even worse in the design.

Yong Huang