Re: Active files message when applying a patch bundle on Windows

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:07:27 -0400

If you are running Production out of this home then yes you need to halt production.
>>> "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <> 4/22/13 2:01 PM >>>
I have a windows server (32 bit) which I am attempting to upgrade from to For this particular application we are running test and production instances on the same server (not my choice), so I have to proceed with a bit of caution. I installed in a separate ORACLE_HOME. Now I am trying to apply Patch Bundle 18 before I upgrade the test instance. At this point I have not migrated any of the databases to the new version and we are still using the listener.

When I run opatch I get:

Following files are active :

How can I tell what process is using these DLLs or is opatch confusing the 11.2.0 versions of these libraries with the 11.1.0 versions?

Tasklist /m will only accept the file name, not the full path name.

Does this mean that I have to shut down the production instances before I can apply a patch to the new ORACLE_HOME?

Peter Schauss