RE: shared_io_pool

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:37:12 +0000

Pete, check the values of all the database memory parameters. Then unset or otherwise correct any settings that do not make sense based on your chosen memory management scheme such as having values for sga_target and pga_aggregate_target that sum to a value greater than memory_target. This condition has been known to cause issues as per Note: 781540.1 Startup Database Fails With ORA-444, ORA-4032 And ORA-450.

Your situation is slightly different but I have seen other complaints where it seems that internally Oracle logic still looks at some of the memory related parameters when based on the memory method in use it should not. That or how Oracle is generating these internal limits is just inappropriate for the memory management in use.

after upgrade from 10G to 11.2.0.3 DB allocated 430M of shared_io_pool

 select
   ksppinm,
   ksppstvl,
   ksppstdvl
from

   x$ksppcv a,
   x$ksppi b
where

   a.indx=b.indx
and

   b.ksppinm like '%shared_io%';

KSPPINM                        KSPPSTVL             KSPPSTDVL

__shared_io_pool_size 452984832 432M
_shared_io_pool_size 0 0
_shared_iop_max_size 536870912 512M
_shared_io_pool_buf_size 1048576 1M
_shared_io_pool_debug_trc 0 0
_shared_io_set_value FALSE FALSE

What possibilities are to set upper boundary of shared_io_pool ? With setting _shared_iop_max_size ? Did anybody play with these parameters ? How it is possible to monitor if (and how effective, impact on performance ) this pool is used ? Why the DB allocated such pool ? We have other 11G DBs , also with LOBs , where such pool ist not present.

Best Regards,
Petr--