RE: DBA Humor (Twisted, sick sort of stuff...)

From: Schauss, Peter (ESS) <"Schauss,>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:37:39 +0000

Several years ago my management asked me to see what I could do to make the hourly ETLs (yes- hourly) feeding the data warehouse run in less than 65-75 minutes. "The previous DBA used to reload fragmented tables and indexes and then the ETL would run faster."

Looking the table which recorded the start and stop times for each step of the ETL on each ETL run, I identified the longest running step. I found that it taking about 20-25 minutes. Then I turned on 10046 tracing and picked out the trace file which corresponded to that step. The trace file showed that this ETL step was updating every row in a 1.2 million row table every hour

I made a copy of the offending table into another schema using export and import and, comparing it to a copy made after the next ETL, found that fewer than 1% of the rows had changed.

I suggested to management that they might want to rethink that ETL step.

  • Peter Schauss

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of rjamya Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:36 AM
To: Ram Raman
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: DBA Humor (Twisted, sick sort of stuff...)

What queries? LOL !! I said "consultants designed datamart". Which means they had the datamart, but, 1. no one had defined how it will be used 2. No one knew how to query it 3. No one could query it once it was loaded since they did so much of transformation in their (ahem) ETL process.

So, it was a datamart that loaded about 40m_ rows every night into a DB, which were promptly useless. Data retention was supposed to be 7 years, we fought hard to bring it down to 3. Mind this, it was a standalond db, with a DR, (they also wanted a HA as well as a GG replicated copy for "reporting" purpose). After listening to costs, only primary and HA remained.

I dont know the current status, everything else was running smoothly, except for this one.

Raj