Re: Oracle Stack - Patching Madness

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:37:15 -0600

On 28/03/2013 9:58 AM, Sam K wrote:
> In our place, we have oracle DB patches, Patches to the middle-tier,
> ERP, Hyperion, Weblogic and then we have the JDK security updates - so
> with the criticallity of the patches , It is most of the time patch
> now mandate for us - and as per our IT security mandate ,we need to be
> current
> or at the most we can be behind by one PSU patch cycle.
This is EXACTLY where the Cloud Control and extra cost Life Cycle Management Packs fit.

And, as you say, the complexity and the cost to manage that manually, is what helps justify and offset the price of the pack.

Believe me, I've create commercial patch tracking systems in the past (designed and implemented Nortel's original switch asset management system) and it is nearly mandatory to have it automated. The problems that happen when missing manual updates to the control and reporting are too horrible to contemplate.

/Hans