Re: 1 minutes: best downtime story

From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:24:32 +0800

Implemented Storage Based Mirroring using Hitachi ShadowImage. Vendors wrote the scripts which did both a. Clone from Prodn to Dev
b. Clone from Dev to Prodn
(WHY ??)
Weekly clone from Prodn to Dev being done. One day, the SysAdmin (pseudo-Oracle-DBA) runs script b. instead of script a.

MUCH SWEARING by me.
Fortunately, Prodn wasn't LIVE yet, it was still proto-Live.

I took the root password, renamed the scripts, moved them to a "DO_NOT_USE" folder
and sent an email to all to NOT USE the scripts.

Hemant K Chitale

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Jeremy Schneider < jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com> wrote:

> Hey all -
>
> I'm writing a paper about top causes of downtime. As one component
> of research, I'd like to get some input from you!
>
> One minute, two sentences. First sentence: describe what went down.
> Second sentence: describe why. (I have to categorize all of these.)
> Everyone should have at least one downtime story so I'm hoping for a
> lot of feedback!
>
> Answer about any technology - database, operating system, etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jeremy
>

> --
> Jeremy Schneider