Re: AWR report ... what does W/A MB processed represent?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:12:12 -0000

John,

Regarding drop in w/a mob - you said you'd got a larger pga aggregate target. This may mean that more of your sorts complete in memory, and multipasses drop to one-pass. If Oracle is doing something funny counting bytes (in an out) then this might explain a signficant drop. For example, what if on a one-pass sort Oracle counts the data as it reads it, counts it again as it passes it do disc, counts it again as it reads it back and counts it again as it merges and delivers the streams. (I haven't checked this, but if Oracle's managing to double count on an optimal sort, how wrong could it go on a one-pass !) This change "sort 5MB of data" into 20MB processed.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)
http://www.apress.com/9781430239543

  • Original Message ----- From: "John Hurley" <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com> To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:06 PM Subject: Re: AWR report ... what does W/A MB processed represent?

Thanks Jonathan:

For parses if this is just some kind of change in how oracle counts statistics for the parses between 11.1 and 11.2 ( now ignoring session_cached_cursor hits ? ) the change in the values reported makes sense to me.

If that is correct then that change also changes dramatically the ratios reported immediately after ( Execute to Parse / Parse CPU to Parse Elapsed% ).

For W/A MB processed:
Starting to think that perhaps in 11.1 Oracle was not dividing the value for "bytes processed" by 1024*1024 ( was not calculating MB correctly ) in the AWR report and has now fixed the calculation?

No virus found in this message.