RE: linux Async io

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:52:21 -0400

Frits' suggestion was to sql_trace at level 8, presumably to see whether you're getting actual async i/o and the details of i/o requests, as opposed to just whether your execution plan changed. While changes to your plans may indeed be of critical interest, the thread title is about async io.

mwf

From: Frits Hoogland [mailto:frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:07 PM
To: david.barbour1_at_gmail.com
Cc: Hsieh, Joan; oracle_l

A sane beginning would be to start with source platform and version and hardware layout en destination specifications. And parameters of both instances.

Then look at both (source and destionation) execution plans.

Then run the critical sql's on both platforms with SQL trace at level 8, and compare them.

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com<http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/> frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com<mailto:frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com> +31 6 53569942<tel:+31%206%2053569942>

Op 22 mrt. 2013 om 18:55 heeft David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com<mailto:david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>> het volgende geschreven:
Joan,

It appears it is - but may not be very efficient at this point. What version of Oracle and Linux are you using? What type of filesystem/disk/etc. (Not just NetApps - ASM, OCFS, etc.)?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Hsieh, Joan <Joan.Hsieh_at_tufts.edu<mailto:Joan.Hsieh_at_tufts.edu>> wrote:

Hi,
We are migrating DW database from AIX to linux, the online transaction is ok compared to AIX. But the batch job is 35% slower than AIX. Of course, the architecture are different, the storage is Netapps on Linux. From the awa report. 60% time is user IO waiting. I'm not sure how to read the following information, is it async io enabled?

Thank,

Joan

dwdb-prod-01:c0ra1e)SDWPRD:/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/bin<http://11.2.0.3/bin>
> cat /proc/slabinfo | grep kio

kioctx                56     80    384   10    1 : tunables   54   27    8 :
slabdata      8      8      0
kiocb                  0      0    256   15    1 : tunables  120   60    8 :
slabdata      0      0      0

dwdb-prod-01:c0ra1e)SDWPRD:/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/<http://11.2.0.3/>