Re: Thoughts on comments

From: Thomas Kellerer <thomas.kellerer_at_mgm-tp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:12:23 +0100

Gints Plivna, 22.03.2013 13:06:> BTW I have experienced quite a few cases when initially (logical) data
> model (ER diagram, class model, whatever tool) has been created and
> initially everything is in data model. But after a time (months, years)
> changes are being made in DB, but never synchronised with data model. So in
> these cases comments in DB can really help.

We maintain the ER model including comments in Toad Data Modeler (TDM)

We also use Liquibase to manage our migration scripts - but we do not write them manually: we generate them from within TDM (using several TDM macros we wrote). That way the database comments are always in sync with our model. The comments also show up in the HTML documentation generated from within TDM and due to this process those comments are consistent with the ones found in the database.

I would love to see Oracle adopting DB2's or Postgres' flexibility with comments: you can attach a comment to any DB object (sequence, constraint, index, trigger, function, ...) there.