Re: strace & lsof during an application JDBC issue - simple questions at the end

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:22:55 +0000

Morning Chris,

On 22/03/13 07:30, Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
> Is the 864 at the end of the read line the number of SECONDS it took to complete that operation?
the 864 on the read call is the number of bytes read. On an open call it's the file number. On a write it's the bytes written. Etc.

> Is a READ across a network link back to serverA a READ for more data - like a SQLNET SQL*Net message from client event in the database?
Technically, yes. (In my opinion) although it might be for some other reason, and not related to the database. Depends on the file id in use and what that opened to. But probably yes.

HTH Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar