Re: VNC vs Cygwin (was RE: Semi-OT: Vi Question/Need)

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:45:51 -0500 (CDT)

Norm!

> Unfortunately, I'm WFH over a company VPN where I have to login to one
> server to connect to another where I want to do the installing. X
> forwarding does work from the first server to MobaXTerm, and sometimes
> (assuming i ssh -X) from the second server, but not always.

X Forwarding over VPN can be tricky as the DISPLAY can't always be set to the client's IP. I've been using xauth to forge the forwarding cookie. The best example I could find quickly is:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8916834/writing-bash-script-for-x-11-forwarding  That being said, I do prefer VNC or even RDP over X traffic via VPN.

As far as Cygwin/X, I used it to complete multiple interactive Oracle installs and DBUA upgrades in the past year with zero issues. This included a EM12c install (and 2-system migration, but that was all web, IIRC).

Hard to believe there's a bug I somehow managed to miss! YAY! :)

Rich