Re: VNC vs Cygwin (was RE: Semi-OT: Vi Question/Need)

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:43:41 -0600

On 20/03/2013 7:16 AM, Brian Pardy wrote:
> Stick with VNC for installing/upgrading Cloud Control 12c. I ran into an "interesting" bug (14623310, now patched via auto-update) where Cygwin's openssh+Xserver, with or without the -Y/-X flags, would silently timeout the X display support after about 20 minutes causing an upgrade failure moving from 12cR1 to R2. There's a step in the upgrade that runs a blind X app with no UI that was failing silently since it couldn't connect to my $DISPLAY when it was run about 25 minutes into the upgrade process.

Ah yes, Cygwin/X. Bad luck on that specific combination - and thanks for letting know. You'd a thunk they'd removed the last of those X dependencies for silent install with the 10g OUI challenges.

For the X interface, I lean toward Xming from http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/ ... although lately he's been 'requesting' donations to get the download. Then again, who knows what bugs he's got ...

/Hans