RE: encryption

From: Upendra N <nupendra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:52:03 -0400

If you are looking at encrypting at the host level, there are a few 3rd party tools available to transparently encrypt the data. One such tool is Vormetric. It uses an appliance which holds the encryption keys. The databases you want to encrypt will be running a Vormetric agent which handles communication between the appliance and the encryption. This tool encrypts data at the file system level as well as limit file system level access for folks who aren't supposed to access the datafiles/logs/binaries etc. Here is the link to their white papers:
http://www.vormetric.com/resources/white-papers We recently implemented in our environment, the conversion to encryption is a process which requires downtime, rest of the steps are fairly transparent. Since we are have complex replication going, we couldn't use native Oracle tools, also this is a fraction of cost compared to TDE.

As everyone else already told, you may want to find out requirements and see if the solution you pick meets them.

Good luck!
-Upendra