RE: encryption

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:44:27 +0000

Ok, our "security" team is telling us we have to encrypt the databases. If people have sqlplus or sqldev access or what sucks is MS Access front ends to databases it would not be encrypted? Or would they need something on their machine to de-crypt?

ciao,
Brian

Brian Zelli
Senior Database Administrator
Enterprise Apps/Sys Integration
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
(716) 845-4460
brian.zelli_at_roswellpark.org

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andy Klock Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:30 AM
To: TJ Kiernan
Cc: Zelli, Brian; gints.plivna_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: encryption

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM, TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com> wrote:
> DBMS_CRYPTO is server-side only (encrypting data at rest). If you're
> looking to encrypt SQL*Net traffic, you're going to need Advanced
> Security, which IIRC costs 1/4 a license (and EE).
>
> Thanks,
> T. J.

That's not necessarily true. DBMS_CRYPTO contains many of the same old algos that which can be decrypted in several programming languages.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e16760/d_crypto.htm#BJFFAJCC