Re: Express Edition for Production

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:49:37 -0500 (CDT)

Hans writes:

> All that said, while I do agree that XE is best in the learning and
> prototype environment, I am saddened that so many professionals write it
> off so quickly.

FWIW, I have a 10g XE instance specifically targeted to small, one-off, non-critical apps in APEX. It was originally a prototype to replace largeish user-developed MS Access apps, but that project just lost steam, so I had the environment Ready To Rock™ for other quick project turnaround. So far, it has:

  • Blocking troubleshooting for a critical SQL Server-based app.
  • Log/audit reporting for a critical realtime Oracle ERP app.
  • Producer Price Index reporting using Federal public data (U.S.).
  • Realtime Oracle development DB environment info.
  • Production ERP SQL job management for IT.
  • Custom Cloud Control metric reporting, using PHP and Flash, also for IT.
  • "Homepage" links to other web servers.

Local non-system storage is currently 150MB, with the bulk of data obtained via DB links.

It's a compilation of small low-visibility niche apps that are definitely helpful, but certainly not critical. It's a great place to prototype as well as provide a playground for a few Friday afternoons.

If I could've used Linux instead of Windows, the price would have been practically free (using our VM server).

My $.02,
Rich