How to generate a good & thorough IO throughput test from inside Oracle ?

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 07:53:13 -0500

Env: 10.2.0.4 3 node RAC on RH Linux 64-bit One of our nodes in this 3 node cluster seems to have slower IO throughput between the server and the storage frame (EMC VMax 20K).

According to the Linux admin, the IO adapter settings are the same on all 3 nodes.

However, whenever we run IO intensive processes (particularly batch loads), or RMAN backups, the throughput on the 3rd node seems to be a lot slower.

Two table INSERTs on nodes 1 & 2 will complete in 15 minutes while all 3 nodes are lightly loaded. The script (very simple INSERT with 2 table join and HASH join) takes 40 minutes on node 3.

RMAN backup on node1 will run in 2.5->3 hours. The same script, and same filesystem mount point present to node3 ran in 6 hours on lightly loaded system.

I need to come up with a "real" test benchmark to run from within Oracle and am looking for ideas to run on all 3 nodes to confirm/deny that node3 is slower retrieving IO - any suggestions?

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S