Re: Express Edition for Production

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:59:54 -0600

Indeed, XE was a response to IBM and Microsoft releasing their own Express Editions for DB2 and SQL Server respectively, if you look at the initial timing.

But I'm always curious - in the 'target market' for XE, how much data does an organization really need to store. Think of a reasonably small company, say the size of Enkitek ... how much financials information will the generate per year? I mean, realistically, many companies have accumulated 10 years or more of financials using QuickBooks in less than 200MB.

With Oracle Text indexing external information, XE can do a huge amount, even for a small company's equivalent to Sharepoint. Just don't store the powerpoints inside Oracle (which seems silly even in EE). And given that heterogeneous gateway is included and free with every version and edition, that means you CAN access the data in Postgres or anywhere else. ;-)

All that said, while I do agree that XE is best in the learning and prototype environment, I am saddened that so many professionals write it off so quickly.

/Hans