Re: Express Edition for Production

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:34:42 -0600

On 17/03/2013 3:44 PM, Matthew Zito wrote:
> Postgres has PostGIS - http://postgis.net/ - which is pretty highly
> regarded, at least amongst GIS people I know.
>
> APEX, though - I guess the closest you'd come is some rapid
> development framework like Rails.
>
> Personally, I'd *never* base a startup on Oracle - given today's
> trends for data collection (i.e. more is better), 4GB of data isn't
> going to get you very far, and then the pricing for Oracle is enough
> to bankrupt anyone with a decent compute footprint (not to mention
> licensing terms that are very unfriendly for on-demand compute
> infrastructure like EC2).

Hmmmmm ... where to start

 From the docs ... " Express Edition may only be used to support up to 11GB of user data (not including Express Edition system data); " which is more than 20 years of pure accounting information (not counting scanned receipts) for a typical SME.

And SE1 is a fairly reasonable price for a SME, and usually covers all of a typical small business requirements.

And SE comes in pretty much in line price and feature-wise to SQL Server Enterprise

And Locator is free with every edition and version of Oracle RDBMS, and is more mature than postgis (which has it's own good and negative points)

And ...

But Postgres has it's points as well.

These are all tools. And a professional understands the tools in hos toll belt, including costs and capabilities.

/Hans