Re: 1 minutes: best downtime story

From: Ingrid Voigt <GiantPanda_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:25:53 +0100

(Stories of doing things on prod instead of dev/test don't count, do they?)

This is about a test machine hosting both application and database:

Space was getting tight; applications admin decided to make some room. Zipped the redologs. All of them including the active ones (don't know how). Database crashed, unzipping didn't bring it up again.

Restore from backup? Noarchivelog mode.
Rebuild from production? Production had grown in the meantime and didn't fit anymore.
Increase storage? Test machine - no SAN.

Finally, after much grumbling, the applications guy found a way to free some space in the application directories - enough to build a new copy of prod. He ordered a new bigger machine one month later.

Regards
Ingrid