Re: 1 minutes: best downtime story

From: Thomas Kellerer <thomas.kellerer_at_mgm-tp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:07:09 +0100

Jeremy Schneider, 14.03.2013 22:07:> Hey all -

> I'm writing a paper about top causes of downtime. As one component
> of research, I'd like to get some input from you!
>
> One minute, two sentences. First sentence: describe what went down.
> Second sentence: describe why. (I have to categorize all of these.)
> Everyone should have at least one downtime story so I'm hoping for a
> lot of feedback!
>
> Answer about any technology - database, operating system, etc.

While testing the (quite complicated) migration of the data for a new version of our application, I had to copy data from production, wipe my test database and then import the production data into my test database.

Well at one point I accidently deleted all the data from production instead of test.

Luckily, because I had the data copied, "downtime" was only a couple of minutes until I restored everything.

After that event, I implemented a "read-only" option in my SQL tool...