Re: Mystery - emctl cannot connect to DB

From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:16:07 -0400

Howard,
You mentioned recently database was upgraded to 11g, Better if you crosscheck the environments you have set, Try to reset ORACLE_HOME, PATH and other environment variables. Probably it may still referring to the previous version.

In those cases such errors are expected "*DatabaseUnavailableException: Database instance unavailable*"*.
*As Hans mentioned, you got chance to check the database connectivity from the server with&without using oracle net service?

BTW, what is the full version and release, PatchSet level you have installed?

Best Regards,
Nassyam Basha
www.oracle-ckpt.com

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> This is puzzling me and I will probably log an SR but hope a lister may
> have solved this problem.
> Redhat Lunix and 11g Oracle
>
> I am trying to use $ORACLE_HOME/bin/emca -config dbcontrol db -repos
> recreate
> to create an oem repository on a database recently upgraded to 11g. I
> suspect this is caused by a tns /sqlnet mis config but cant find it.
> database is up and open sqlplus connects fine as does toad and
> reportwriter. any Ideas?
>
> See Errors here!
>
> Database SID: test
> Exception in thread "main"
> oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.DatabaseUnavailableException: Database
> instance unavailable.
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks.throwDBUnavailableException(DatabaseChecks.java:151)
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks.checkDbAvailabilityImpl(DatabaseChecks.java:139)
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks.checkDbAvailability(DatabaseChecks.java:163)
> at
> oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks.getDbServiceName(DatabaseChecks.java:582)
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.performConfiguration(EMConfigAssistant.java:1267)
> at
> oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.statusMain(EMConfigAssistant.java:573)
> at
> oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.main(EMConfigAssistant.java:521)
>

> --
> Howard A. Latham

Thanks & Regards,
Nassyam Basha.