RE: Flashback Database NEWBIE - 10g - Going to setup one for first time

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:50:54 +0000

Chris,

Be careful with your guaranteed restore points - make sure to only create them when the database is in mount status. This is true at least for 10.2.0.2. I'm not sure if the doc explicily says this but we found that when creating guaranteed restore points when the database is open, flashback logs can get dropped automatically by the database when under space pressure.

We perform flashback database operations multiple times per week for various systems and developed a script to handle the entire process, including emails at various stages of progress and cleanup of unnecessary archive logs. Let me know if you'd like to see a copy.

Dave Herring
DBA Acxiom Corporation
EML   dave.herring_at_acxiom.com
TEL    +1 630.944.4762
3333 Finley, Downers Grove, IL 60515, U.S.A www.acxiom.com

#1 Monday - Initial Restore Point - always will flashback to this
#2 Tuesday - safety restore point
#3 Wed - safety restore point
#4 Thur - safety restore point
#5 Friday - safety restore point

Friday Night - flashback database to restore point #1. (The subsequent flashback #s here will be cleaned out/overwritten or do I need to script that?)

Scenario 2 (what do I need to consider here)

#1 Monday - Initial Restore Point - always will flashback to this
#2 Tuesday - safety restore point
#3 Wed - safety restore point
#4 Thur - safety restore point
#5 Friday - safety restore point

*OOOPS - need to flashback to Thursday #4

Friday night - Flashback to #1

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:09 PM
To: Taylor Christopher - Nashville

Yeah, I agree. Its going to be a pain to maintain. You will probably even want to try and keep a virgin copy out somewhere safe in case something gets screwed up along the way. On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM, <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net<mailto:Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>> wrote: Thanks for taking some time - lots of pieces to this and I like hitting it right the first time :)

Chris

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>] Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:54 PM
To: andy_at_oracledepot.com<mailto:andy_at_oracledepot.com>

Cc: Taylor Christopher - Nashville; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Flashback Database NEWBIE - 10g - Going to setup one for first time

No you do not have to put those there, but most people do put the archivelogs and often one copy of the backups in the FRA. Archivelogs will go there by default, unless you direct them elsewhere. On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com<mailto:andy_at_oracledepot.com>> wrote: Sending again for over-quoting. Sorry.
You are still missing space for the flashback logs. Those are not chump change either. Plus any additional space you will need for your UNDO tablespace.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/rpfbdb003.htm On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM, <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net<mailto:Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>> wrote:

> If I want to make sure I have enough FLASHBACK space for 5 business
> days I thought about using 6x80 (to give me an extra day of space
> "just in case") and come up with 480 GB of redo generated that I need
> to be able to flashback from.
>
> In this case is 500GB enough for a flashback area or am I still
> leaving out something?
>
> Chris

Andrew W. Kerber

Andrew W. Kerber