Re: What is oracle internals ?!

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:55:18 +0200

Try search anything about Oracle and, for example, MS SQL. How latching, mutexing, serialization is done, how optimizer works. Somehow Oracle world has something from Unix and subsequently - open source. With Oracle you will find a bunch of people digging into how Oracle does this or that, producing and reverse engineering trace files, log files, all kinds of memory dumps. Quite often they talk Oracle language which has little in common with CS terminology but you can bridge them. Somehow Oracle seems to tollerate his own people sharing internals with the community. If I am not mistaken up to Oracle 7.3 many of Oracle provided system stored procedures where open source. Once I tried to search a similar information for MS SQL to no avail. In fantasy world you should not need to know anything about internals, the product for which you paid a hefty price should work. In the real world it often helps. At least you feel more secure knowing how things are working.

my 2 cents, Laimis N

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Mar 14 2013 - 09:55:18 CET

Original text of this message