DBA_STMT_AUDIT_OPTS versus DBA_PRIV_AUDIT_OPTS and SELECT ANY TABLE (Confused)

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:47:37 -0500

Env: 10.2.0.4
It's my understanding that DBA_PRIV_AUDIT_OPTS audits the use of database privileges (such as SELECT ANY TABLE) and that DBA_STMT_AUDIT_OPTS audits particular statement types.

If this is true and I see SELECT ANY TABLE listed in BOTH views, does that mean that SELECTS on ANY TABLE are getting audited as it shows up in DBA_STMT_AUDIT_OPTS?

And selects done through the privilege SELECT ANY TABLE are being audited because it shows up in DBA_PRIV_AUDIT_OPTS?

There's a subtle difference in the above - it seems that SELECT ANY TABLE in DBA_STMT_AUDIT_OPTS might be showing that ALL selects are being audited, but I'm not sure that's true because I do *not* have SELECT TABLE being audited yet SELECTS are showing up in my audit logs (using OS db audit trail).

Thoughts?

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S