Re: Interesting topic in linked in

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 15:05:47 -0600

Yes, I have read about DUL. I have never used it though. It would be interesting to know why he doesnt have a backup of the system tablespace. I was thinking that the variations on re-creating the controlfile would not help since you would still be missing the extent and data dictionary information. Its kind of an interesting topic on a slow Saturday for an Oracle geek:
Here is the link on LinkedIN if someone wants to help the guy:

http://www.linkedin.com/e/-myrx9z-he2psvbe-4o/vai/77941/219844744/member/eml-anet_dig-b_pd-ttl-cn/?hs=false&tok=1HxzJI2JzFBlE1

Its interesting that this is the senior dba group in theory, but I have seen some rather basic questions there.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Gerwin Hendriksen < gerwin.hendriksen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess if your system tablespace is not complete due to the fact you are
> missing one of its vital files, your only good option would be thinking of
> a tool like DUL. This is a link to a small description of it:
> http://www.joords.nl/index.php?file=kop12.php
>
> Anyway it has been a very long time ago I actually did something with DUL
> but probably there are who have more recent experience. Good luck!
>
> Regards, Gerwin
>
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
> Op 9 mrt. 2013 om 20:34 heeft Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
> het volgende geschreven:
>
> This is just off the top of my head... and it probably won't work. But you
> could create a blank DB and then recreate the controlfile including all the
> DFs from the other DB. The DB Name should be the same, and I don't know if
> you can force a DB ID at database creation, otherwise it might not be
> possible. Or if you can change the dbid of the other datafiles.
> An SR with Oracle would be ideal, they've helped me with some weird
> recovery scenarios with hot copies of the DFs without enabling backup mode
> and stuff like that.
>
> I'll add this to the next DRE we perform...
>
> Also, while updating the resume is a sound advice, I would suggest that if
> asscovering is required he look into the reason for there not being a
> backup. I've often found that the reason for most unrecoverable databases
> are manages who don't want to "waste" money or storage in backups.
>
> hth
> Alan.-
>

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> Someone on LinkedIn is asking how to start the db when system01.dbf is
>
> missing and there is no backup. Interesting topic, but for the life of me
>
> I can't think how it can be done. There are some suggestions on how to
>
> retrieve the data.
>

> My own suggestion was to update the resume, but I am curious if anyone has
>
> ever managed to do this, and if so, how?
>

> Sent from my iPad--

Andrew W. Kerber