Re: Interesting topic in linked in

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 16:34:07 -0300

This is just off the top of my head... and it probably won't work. But you could create a blank DB and then recreate the controlfile including all the DFs from the other DB. The DB Name should be the same, and I don't know if you can force a DB ID at database creation, otherwise it might not be possible. Or if you can change the dbid of the other datafiles. An SR with Oracle would be ideal, they've helped me with some weird recovery scenarios with hot copies of the DFs without enabling backup mode and stuff like that.

I'll add this to the next DRE we perform...

Also, while updating the resume is a sound advice, I would suggest that if asscovering is required he look into the reason for there not being a backup. I've often found that the reason for most unrecoverable databases are manages who don't want to "waste" money or storage in backups.

hth
Alan.-