Re: Data Vault Consultant out there?

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 08:05:06 -0800

I just started an article yesterday on "Is dedup dead? yes, at least for databases".
For dedup of databases the data is not usable until you re-expand it. The limitation is lifted with database virtualization which shares duplicate blocks between active databases and as a fringe benefit it can store about 50 days of backups in the size of one full physical backup and a database instance can be spun up in about 2 minutes from anywhere in that 50 days. If you are using dedup for databases it might be worth looking into database virtualization.

Here are some links on my blog about database virtualization

http://dboptimizer.com/2013/02/04/oaktable-world-video-database-virtualization-and-intant-provisioning/
http://dboptimizer.com/2013/02/20/deduplication-masking-and-database-virtualization/
http://dboptimizer.com/2013/03/01/cache-everything-withouth-breaking-the-bank/
http://dboptimizer.com/2013/02/15/alleviate-load-on-sans-with-data-virtualization/
http://dboptimizer.com/2013/02/07/jonathan-lewis-tests-delphix/

The above links address database virtualization rather than dedup but comparing to dedup, database virtualization is much easier, flexible, faster and less load on infrastructure not to mention the biggest advantage of actually being able to use the data directly