Re: Advanced Compression features on non-Engineered systems/storage

From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:54:40 -0800

Full disclosure department: I run the Product Management team at Oracle responsible for Advanced Compression, Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), and other performance and storage-related Oracle Database features (see my sig below for a more complete list).

To use HCC, you do NOT need to license Advanced Compression; you need either Exadata, or ZFSSA or Pillar Axiom storage, and 11.2.0.3+ of Oracle Database.

So, you can build a non-Exadata system that includes Oracle storage and use QUERY and ARCHIVE compression without licensing Advanced Compression. This will allow you to get very high compression ratios for your larger tables, as long as you can bulk-load the data (or use ALTER TABLE MOVE or CTAS or Insert with APPEND hints etc), and as long as you don't update the data much after loading it into QUERY or ARCHIVE compressed formats.

If you license Advanced Compression, you get the following:

OLTP Table Compression: keeps tables compressed even while rows are being DML-ed. Compression ratios average 2x-4x, whereas QUERY compression averages about 10x and ARCHIVE compression averages 15x-50x. SecureFiles Compression and Deduplication Data Pump Export Compression
RMAN Backup Compression
Data Guard Redo Transport Compression

Note that any space you save in your production databases cascades to all the copies you make of production - test, dev, QA, backup, etc - so there can be very big storage cost savings even if you "only" get 2x or 3x compression ratios. In addition, all of the Advanced Compression features are designed to save space AND improve performance, so you will generally see better performance with these features, in addition to saving on storage costs...

-KJ

*Kevin Jernigan* 	(650) 607-0392 (o)
*Senior Director Product Management* 	(415) 710-8828 (m)
kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com <mailto:kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
*Advanced Compression - ACO*: 	*Information Lifecycle Management* - ILM
   Advanced Row Compression 	*Temporal database* (Total Recall etc)
   Advanced LOB Compression 	*SecureFiles*
   Advanced LOB Deduplication 	*Database File System* - DBFS
   RMAN Backup Compression 	*Direct NFS Client* - dNFS
   Data Pump Export Compression 	*CloneDB*
   Data Guard Redo Network Transport Compression 	*Database Resource
Manager* - DBRM
   Flashback Data Archive History Table Optimization 	*Continuous Query
Notification* - CQN
*Hybrid Columnar Compression* - HCC 	*Index Organized Tables* - IOT
*Database Smart Flash Cache* 	*OISP*