Re: Book feedback

From: Carlos Sierra <carlos.sierra.usa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 04:09:47 -0600

Ram,
SQLTXPLAIN (SQLT) is becoming popular in the SQL Tuning space. Oracle Support uses it all the time simply because it allows a support engineer to collect what they need to diagnose a SQL statement performing poorly. Then analyze the issue in a stand-alone disconnected way.

Back to your question"Is SQLTXPLAIN 'mainstream' in companies? Do the people in the list use it?". Several large enterprises have adopted it (or its child tool SQL Health-Check SQLHC). Some of these enterprises install it on pretty much all their servers. Of course they have known and used it for a long time. If you are a newbie on SQLT, I suggest you go slow: Try it first on your non-Production environments, then when you are ready to benefit of it on Production you can install it there.

If your site has dozens, hundreds, or thousands of databases, then you can install SQLT with installation parameters in a file. This technique allows to rapidly install it on many systems. You can use same parameter file for further upgrades (SQLT has a new version about once a month).

Cheers -- Carlos

Cheers -- Carlos Sierra
http://carlos-sierra.net/