RE: oracle client

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:32:33 -0800

In addition to Instant Client that has already been suggested, consider these free tools:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/overview/index.html Oracle SQL Developer is a free integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database. SQL Developer offers complete end-to-end development of your PL/SQL applications, a worksheet for running queries and scripts, a DBA console for managing the database, a reports interface, a complete data modeling solution, and a migration platform for moving your 3rd party databases to Oracle.

Note that Data Modeler is integrated into SQL Developer.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html

This virtual machine contains:

Oracle Linux 5
Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Enterprise Edition Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database Cache Oracle XML DB
Oracle SQL Developer
Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
Oracle Application Express
Oracle JDeveloper
Hands-On-Labs (accessed via the Toolbar Menu in Firefox)

You can use SQL Developer on Windows to connect to the Oracle Database within the Linux VM.

Iggy

> Ok, this question is a little off the path. I teach a dbms class and I want the students to use sqlplus. The school used to provide the download of the client but no longer.
> I told them to go to the oracle website and download it. They said they can't download it for free. I thought the client was free? --
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sun Mar 03 2013 - 05:32:33 CET

Original text of this message