Re: ASM & split-mirrors

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:37:41 -0800 (PST)

We are using EMC ( mirror view asynch for replication / local clones ) and works well for us.

Obviously any mirroring / splitting has to have write order dependency across the mirrors ... as long as your vendor provides that you should be ok ( with relevant testing and verification of course ).

Since using ASM of course the first step is bringing up asm instance and then altering disk groups to get them mounted.

Personally I would ONLY do this stuff with disk groups that are specific to just one database instance.

As ASM mounts the disk group it will perform any ASM recovery operations needed.

Then you just open the database and it goes through usual processing including recovery to get it open.

If using the split mirror to get an rman backup there are some other things necessary I think ( like you keep it in mount I believe / have not done that for a while ) ... but I would not go near that until you have proven you can get the database open.