Re: indexing

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:56:16 -0700

...And when you trace a user's update because it takes too much response time, and you find out that a 3-table join is visiting the database buffer cache 150 times per updated row instead of just 30, it's the extra index touches that are causing the extra pain (a delete and an insert upon each index, plus the undo for these operations). You'll of course get extra redo being generated, too.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation